Thursday, April 29, 2021

Thinking Activity: Waiting For Godot

Hello readers..
Our professor Dr. Heena mem Zala gave a one task on the famous novel Waiting for Godot.so this Blog is the answer of my classroom work. Let's discuss on it. 

So first I gave brief introduction about this novel:-


“Waiting for Godot” is a play by Samuel Beckett. Waiting for Godot is Beckett's translation of his own original French play, “En attendant Godot”, and is subtitled in English only "a tragicomedy in two acts”. The original French text was composed between 9 October 1948 and 29 January 1949. The premiere was on 5 January 1953 in the Theater de Babylone, Paris. The English language version was premiered in London in 1955. In a poll conducted by the British Royal National Theatre in 1990 it was voted the "most significant English language play of the 20th century".

There are only five characters who appeared on the stage sixth one does not appear on stage. The story is whole around of that sixth person who never comes – Godot. Vladimir and Estragon both are waiting for Godot and while waiting they are trying to kill the time by various acts. In play two more characters are Lucky and Pozzo, who are slave and master. They both come on the stage as giving relief to the audience from only seeing Vladimir and Estragon. The fifth character is the Boy, who come on the stage to give news about Godot that he will not come today but tomorrow he will come. This play has been considered as a absurd play with the theme of existentialism.
The play is a typical example of the Theatre of the Absurd, and people use the phrase 'waiting for Godot' to describe a situation where they are waiting for something to happen, but it probably never will. ..The most important example of hidden meanings in the play is Godot, which is similar to God. Godot symbolizes salvation that religion promises but never comes true. Estragon means “tarragon” in French, while Pozzo is Italian for water. Lucky's name suggests the unluckiness of the sufferings.
After this brief introduction I would like to gave answers for questions which is asking by medam:-

1. What do you think about the characters of the play?:-
I find that characters in this novel all are represented nothingness. In there works they do nothing. They waiting for Godot whom they never seen. And one thing is that they speack that they stand and going but they nothing to do like that and sitting there. If we see the main characters 'Estragon and Vladimir, we can see that they are waiting without knowing the purpose they are waiting for. They have no main purpose about thier life and thier existence. If i talk about other characters that pozzo And lucky they represent The idea of slavery. How his master treat like him as animal. It is show that they have no feelings. They don't care for anybody. But one thing is important that both main characters hsve trust on each other and its good thing. But thier this type of Waiting and this type of some absurd activities make them absurd characters in novel.
2.What do you say about their activities and its significance?
Both Estragon and Vladimir are essentially Everymen, representing all of humanity, but they also contrast in some ways. Estragon is primarily concerned with feelings, particularly his own suffering, rather than intellectual thoughts, and he has trouble understanding much of Vladimir's logic and philosophy.
I find that Estragon struggles with his boot and this activity has no anykind of purpose. And there is no any kind of perspective we get in their activities.The repetitiveness of the play is best illustrated by Estragon's repeated requests to leave, which are followed each time by Vladimir telling him that they cannot leave because they are waiting for Godot. We see that same actions occur over and over again and suggests that these actions happen more times than the play presents. 

3. Is there any similarity between the situations in the play and the lockdown period of 2020?
 I find similarities between both play and period. In this play we find theme of absurdity. And in real life I also feel like absurd just because of pandamic situation. Just because of this pandamic we not allowe to go out from our home. All people stop their work and other working source. Nobody has anykind of income source to earn money. All the things was stop like if we compare that is with characters of the play that they said that leave the place but don't do that same we also faced this type of condition. We want to come out but we do nothing. We waiting for  the normal situation and the time that when all things became noraml and we live life as we live ago but we have no idea what this happned. And same thing in this play valdimir and Estrogen waiting for Godot without any kind of purpose.

4. Did you feel like existential crisis?
Yes,I felt existential crisis during Lockdown.
I felt that I lose my excitence because there is no meaning i find in my life. But I learnt many things from this situation that people are arounding us is more important than any kind of others things. I feel that to live a better life all the things are important like health, money, relationship. We are human beings so we need to all the things to live a safe life. I was very afraid of losing my friend.

5)What did you do to pass time?
One side that I enjoyed this time because I have spending more time with my family. Beacuse I stay in rural area so I went to town for study so I am spending five years in hostel so after five year I spend minium one year with my family. I don't like to see movies but in that time I saw lot's of movies and webseries. And specially I learnt cooking very well. I spending one hour with my grandfather beacuse he is very knowledgeable person so he tell me one story daily. Some of way it's enjoyble period of my life.

6) How was your psychological condition?
In starting I enjoyed the all things. But we know that  situation take a long time to recover. So at home I get boreing because I can't meet my friends. And I felt that there is no any meanig of my life. And I was too irritated from this pandamic situation. I realised that I was totally disturb and I feel that this time also  repet again. And not also me but all people facing same because no one have like to stay at home 24 hour.
Thank you....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Assignment_Paper_209